24 May 2013
Yesterday Eric and I tried something totally new: a 6am flight. Sure, we’ve taken red eyes in our day, but never this crack-of-dawn stuff. Since we flew out of LAX, the airport shuttle picked us up at…3:30am. Which means that we got up at…3am. Although I might not go out of my way to do it again, it actually went really smoothly: huzzah! And so, for memory’s sake, here are my tips. Mostly to my future self, but offered humbly to anyone else who may be jumping on a plane before the sun comes up.
1. Take a shower the night before. There’s no way cleanliness will win over an extra fifteen minutes of sleep, and you’ll be so happy to have a fresh soapy scent on your side as you navigate the day’s travels.
2. When you have a 45-minute ride to the airport at 3:30am, repeat this mantra to yourself until you are effectively hypnotized by gratitude: “At least there won’t be any traffic, at least there won’t be any traffic, at least there won’t be any traffic.”
3. Travel with a sweet and selfless gentleman who will hoist your suitcase up onto the TSA screening belt for you, stand in an intensely long line to buy you a lemon poppy seed muffin at 4:45am, and lift your spirits by reminding you that you’re on a big fun adventure.
4. Do NOT forget your eyemask and earplugs…like I did.
5. If you do, pray for the majestic gift of sleep. Unbelievably, I woke up thinking up we had two and a half hours to go, and we were about to land. MIRACLE. Wishing you the same.